Skip to main content

Morrissey at Millennium Square, Leeds in 2023

MORRISSEY – MILLENNIUM SQUARE, LEEDS

WEDNESDAY, 12 JULY 2023

 

Vocals: MORRISSEY

Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS

Guitars: CARMEN VANDENBERG

Bass: JUAN GALEANO

Drums: BRENDAN BUCKLEY

Keyboards: CAMILA GREY

 

Support: THE SLOW READERS CLUB

THE LOTTERY WINNERS

Morrissey Live In Concert 2023 Millennium Square Leeds Poster

This would be only my 14th Morrissey show in total since I attended my very first one in 1991 at Wembley Arena, London (I know, I don’t get out that much!), and the first time I'd seen Moz at an outdoor venue since the infamous Madstock shindig in Finsbury Park, London way back in 1992 (two days before I turned 20!).  Boy, was THAT an eventful day!  Of course, I was due to attend the Manchester Castlefield Bowl gigs in 2018 but because of the shenanigans of Dickhead Dave Hasbeen, these were sadly called off and cancelled.  Boo!

The tickets for Millennium Square were originally supposed to go on sale in March, but due to unknown circumstances they were postponed until April. Luckily, they were then released as planned and I managed to score some for me and The Almighty Spacelord of Ashton-under-Lyne (also known as my awesome husband Jay!)! I booked us a room in the same hotel (Ibis Styles Leeds City Centre Arena) as the last occasion we were in Super Leeds for a Mozzer gig, in March 2020 (you all know what happened after that!  Yeah, that’s right, I’m looking at YOU, Covid-19!), but it cost a good £50 more than then. Ouch!  I kept checking for a less expensive room, but there was nothing much available and I wanted to be as near to the square as we could afford.

Tickets for Morrissey Millennium Square, Leeds.  Printed!

My youngest sister, who worked in Leeds for many years and knows it well, said it was a good 10-15 minute walk from our accommodation over to Millennium Square.  As it happens though, it wasn't even five so despite the expense it was actually a really good spot to be based at.

Before long, we’d hit 12th July 2023.  MORRISSEY DAY!  I’d switched some annual leave I already had booked so we could go, but Jay had some loose ends to tie up so we didn't manage to catch the train across the Pennines to Super Leeds in Yorkshire, my esteemed county of birth (West is the Best!) until late on in the afternoon. When we got there, we went straight to the hotel to check in and leave our bags, then we went to the Pizza Express in the Merrion Centre for our tea.

Once we'd finished our scran which was well fit, we headed straight for Millennium Square which was remarkably easy to find with the help of Google Maps. We spotted a poster for the night's entertainment just as we were heading towards the gate to gain access, so we of course took some photos of it.

Morrissey and Me in Super Leeds

Sounds Of The City 2023 at Millennium Square in Leeds

A little plug for the Liverpool Empire Concerts

When we got to the entrance, I was advised by the security staff to roll up my small Adidas tote bag and put it in my pocket so that we adhered to the rules. Once our tickets had been scanned (which I'd printed off so as to have physical copies for my collection), we went inside and headed over to the PETA stall. My friend George Bray was one of the team staffing it, and I picked up some flyers, a booklet and some badges whilst having a chat to him.

After this, we went to the merch stand to see what was available. I went with a grey tour tee and a right nice (to coin a Yorkshire phrase, when in Rome and all that!) Shoplifters Of The World Unite tote bag which came in dark green with neon pink lettering. The pay app on my phone, which had already taken a bit of a hammering earlier, decided not to play ball and my virtual card was declined at least twice. Most embarrassing! Thankfully, I also had my credit card on the app so I was able to use that to pay for my goodies. It's essential to have precious things from a gig in the form of souvenirs, or spoils as I like to call them!

My spoils from the night including my tee and tote bag!

We had a bit of a mooch around the square after that and ran into quite a few people we know at this point.

Presently, The Lottery Winners, the first of the two support acts came on. I wasn't at all familiar with their output although I'd heard of them, but they were ruddy ace!

The Lottery Winners

One track in particular that they played, Letter To Myself, was beautiful, heart-rending, poignant and triumphant! I rather think everyone in attendance must have felt like a loner or an outsider when younger like Thom Rylance the singer and lyricist, but having The Smiths and Morrissey in our lives gave us all something wondrous in common. They did a fantastic set which was vibrant, full-on and enthusiastic, and they were so happy to be there supporting Morrissey as they’re all huge fans of his and The Smiths. They were proper giddy kippers and in particular Thom. Thom was very chatty and animated during their set, which he explained was due to his ADHD. I thought he was endearingly sweet and funny, such a good lad!

There was a short break before the next band was due to appear on stage, so Jay and I took this opportunity to have another wander around the square and catch up with some more of our Moz Army chums.

The Slow Readers Club was the second support act of the evening, and they produced an extremely slick and polished set. Again, they were delighted to be supporting Morrissey, and they were most appreciative of the love sent their way from the crowd.

The pre-show videos kicked in after SRC had finished and left the stage, which included the likes of Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees, the New York Dolls and Chloe Poems amongst many others.

Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees on the Big Screen

Morrissey Millennium Square Leeds Pre-Show Video Clip

In no time at all, the main man himself made his grand entrance to greet his adoring fans.  Always such a thrilling moment!

When Morrissey strode confidently onto the stage with the familiar visual of James Baldwin behind him on the backdrop, he opened up the show by singing acapella: "Too old to be a child star, too young to take.... LEEDS!" (a clever play on a lyric from Little Man, What Now?), before launching into a thunderous How Soon Is Now?

Morrissey In Action Part 1

Morrissey In Action Part 2

Morrissey In Action Part 3

Morrissey was on fine form, and had a good old chat with everyone between songs. He came up with nuggets such as: "We are from Quarry Hill flats, and we've come to do you over", comedy gold!

There were people from the apartments opposite the stage (above the Cuthbert Brodrick pub) watching the whole show, with a great view from their balconies. Jammy gets!

Okay then, here’s a quick rundown of all the tracks played in the set:

How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)

Always such a pleasure to hear this most amazing number, and I was impressed by how well the newest members of the band, Carmen and Camila, slotted in.  Good work, gals!  This first song of the set ended with Brendan bashing the proverbial shit out of his tom-tom drums, flippin’ ‘eck!  As someone subsequently posted on social media, Brendan sure did have his Weetabix that day!

Suedehead

Suedehead is like an old friend as it’s been in my life since not long before I left school.  It was performed and sung so beautifully, it’s a reminder of Nineteen Eighty Hate when my head was starting to be turned by Our Lord and Saviour Mozzer!

Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before (The Smiths)

I remember this being played at the end of The South Bank Show special on The Smiths which I watched for the first time probably in around 1989 when I was a fledgling fan buying bootleg videos.  So to hear this one in all its live glory was frankly beyond belief!  Wow!

Irish Blood, English Heart

The crowd went mental for this one, as is always the case as it’s such a rousing number!  I still think that the Royal Line didn’t actually salute Oliver Cromwell though, as I could be wrong but I thought he wanted rid of them whilst also aspiring to be them in all but name at the same time.  Silly boy, Olly! Having said that, I’ve definitely had my fill of both the Labour and Conservative Parties (the future’s Green!) so I hear ya there, brother!

Girlfriend In A Coma (The Smiths)

Morrissey claimed to have had three girlfriends in his "short" (as if, the man is a bona fide Timelord!) life: Virginia Woolf, Diana Dors and Ena Sharples, before Girlfriend In A Coma kicked in.  I’d never heard Morrissey sing this live, and it’s a particular favourite of mine as it’s one of the few tracks by The Smiths I actually liked at the time it was originally released back in 1987 (on my 15th birthday, which I discovered years later!).  It was wonderful to be in the presence of Mozzer performing this highly humorous track.

I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris

This really shows off Morrissey’s incredible vocal range, and it was great to hear this one.  Mozzer’ll not like this, but it always brings to mind a daft sketch on Harry Hill’s TV Burp I once saw, where he did a fun little tribute dressed as His Very Mozzerness holding onto a Paris Hilton not so look-a-likee!  It was hilarious!  Soz, Moz!


I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris

Notre-Dame

From Morrissey’s latest album awaiting release, Without Music The World Dies.  A hard-hitting number lyrically, proper in your face!  With music to match!

Notre-Dame, from Without Music The World Dies

I Wish You Lonely

From Low In High School and a fairly regular member of the setlist now.  Always nice to make its acquaintance.

Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings

From one of Morrissey’s two outstanding albums yet to be released, Bonfire of Teenagers.  It ROCKS!  POW!

The Night Pop Dropped

From Without Music The World Dies, and one I’d not heard live prior to tonight.  A reet marvellous ditty for sure!

Half A Person (The Smiths)

As I’ve said many times before, I actually was 16, clumsy and shy the first time I ever heard this song as a wee one in my hometown of Huddersfield.  Hearing it live again was such a thrill!

Our Frank

Really nice to be experiencing this one live once more in recent times after an absence of many years, and it took right me back to my days as a student going to gigs in London to see Morrissey and “The Lads” (Boz Boorer, Alain Whyte, Gary “Gaz” Day and Spencer Cobrin).

Everyday Is Like Sunday

As the world and his dog knows by now, this is my favourite Morrissey song of all time.  It’s the track that changed my life forevermore.  I was very emotional hearing it out in the open with thousands of other devotees, thinking about just how very different my life would have been had it not come marching into my life when I was a mere 15 years of age.  It found me exactly when I needed it literally just as I left school, and I don’t think I’ll never get over that.  How did you KNOW, Moz?!  THANK YOU!

Knockabout World

I absolutely adore this one, from I Am Not A Dog On A Chain.  The line “You’re okay by me, with your handsome teeth” always makes me grin like a loon!  He sure does have a way with words, does Our Moz!

The Loop

This was such a romping, raucous, joyful jaunt, and especially as Juan was twanging away on his double bass which was just like old times in the early 1990s when the top man that is Gary Day did the very same.

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (The Smiths)

Such a heart-wrencher, and everybody singing along with Moz was utterly breathtaking.  It was unbelievable to be there with so many other people feeling its imploring intensity at the same time as me.

Jack The Ripper

This is a staple of Morrissey’s set, and the obligatory red smoke filled the stage as he held out his arms aloft and his voice soared into the night.  Always such a stirring sound and sight, and even more so in the Leeds dusky eventide sky as it turned to sunset.

Jack The Ripper with Compulsory Crimson Mist

ENCORE:

Sweet And Tender Hooligan (The Smiths)

A corker of a track to end the show with, and I watched keenly as Morrissey tossed his tee into the crowd.  We discovered about five minutes later to our sheer delight that our charming friend Nige Pierce was able to leap into the air (like a migrating salmon, was his excited description, haha!) and grab it before scampering away like a good 'un when the coast was clear.  Nige was immediately protected after his death-defying feat of the Gods in a bear hug by the fabulous Elisabeth Summlar-Prince, who made sure that no fucker got near despite the brutal and violent attempts to do so!  I tell thee, you wouldn’t catch me anywhere near the madness that is the Morrissey Shirt Scrum if my life depended on it.  I’ve said it many times: I am SERIOUSLY too old for that shit, Bruv!  Fair play to you all that get involved!

Moz with Tee prior to Toss

Standing in the gradually fading sunlight in Leeds on a beautiful evening with my beloved soul mate Jay by my side, who came with me to see my idol despite being completely knackered after a hectic day at work, was nothing short of outstanding. WHAT a damned night, y'all!  I would have to describe it as Manc-tastic, seeing as all three acts were from (Greater in the case of The Lottery Winners) Manchester!


Me coming back down to earth at the end of the gig

When it was all over and the lights went up, we hung around for a bit at which point we saw more of the wonderful Moz Army.  Then we headed back to our hotel and had some cheeky drinks in the bar before taking them to our room and retiring for the night.

During the course of the night, we bumped into so many of our lovely Moz Army pals including: George Bray as mentioned earlier, Gordon FrewPaul Staveley and his daughter GeorgiaMaria Stewart, Mike CoyLaura Beth and Mark StevensonAlasdair McDougall (on the day after he’d turned 50 and joined the Half Century Club!), Ana Maria NazarioNige Pierce (literally just after he got the FULL Mozzer tee from the toss!), Elisabeth Summlar-Prince and her fiancé Ian Slightly Vulgar Red PulloverGail GumbleyGemma BaronMatthew Jacobson and Gary “Sir Gaz” Shatliff.

Me, The Spacelord and Mike (Photo couresty of Maria Stewart)

Ana, Jay, Me and Elisabeth (Photo courtesy of Elisabeth Summlar-Prince)

I was also recognised by at least three people from Twitter; a guy with his partner when we’d just hit Leeds, a sweetheart of a woman who was with a friend at the gig whose name I have shamefully forgotten and for which I apologise profusely (I blame it on my age you know, I'm no Spring Chicken anymore!), and a lady in the lift at the hotel when we’d returned from our evening out, had been to the bar and were heading back to our room.  Fame, fame, fatal fame!  For a few seconds, anyway!

We also saw Tracy Shambles the next morning in Jumbo Records, which was grand.

The next day, we had a wander around Leeds and took in the City Museum, the Art Gallery and the Corn Exchange, then went to Doner Summer for our lunch (lush vegan junk food!) before popping to the huge Leeds Kirkgate Market and finally making our way to the train station to head home to Manchester.  

We really did have the most glorious, spectacular time in Super Leeds.  It was such a majestic, magnificent and magical night, one I shall never forget.  I know that all is not well in the Land of Moz right now due to irksome issues with lack of management, record deals falling through and all kinds of insanity, but he always prevails and he’ll be just fine.  Of that, I have no doubt whatsoever.

ANGIE J COOKE nėe LEWIS

Manchester, ENGLAND

Moz Live In Concert 2023 Tour Tee Front

Moz Live In Concert 2023 Tour Tee Rear

MORRISSEY – MILLENNIUM SQUARE, LEEDS

WEDNESDAY, 12 JULY 2023

The full setlist for the concert is as follows:

ENTRANCE: Little Man, What Now? (Morrissey Acapella)

01) How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)

02) Suedehead

03) Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before (The Smiths)

04) Irish Blood, English Heart

05) Girlfriend In A Coma (The Smiths)

06) I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris

07) Notre-Dame

08) I Wish You Lonely

09) Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings

10) The Night Pop Dropped

11) Half A Person (The Smiths)

12) Our Frank

13) Everyday Is Like Sunday

14) Knockabout World

15) The Loop

16) Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (The Smiths)

17) Jack The Ripper

ENCORE:

18) Sweet And Tender Hooligan (The Smiths)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrissey at Manchester Arena in 2016

MORRISSEY – MANCHESTER ARENA SATURDAY, 20 AUGUST 2016 Vocals: MORRISSEY Guitars: BOZ BOORER Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS Bass: MANDO LOPEZ Drums: MATT WALKER Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR Support: DAMIEN DEMPSEY Poster for Manchester Arena Gig For a myriad of reasons which I’ll save for sharing with you all on another day, I hadn’t even CONTEMPLATED , yet alone been interested in, going to a Mozzer gig for a HUGE amount of time! My last one being Drury Lane Theatre in London way back in February 1995 ( over 21 YEARS ago!! ).  When Moz declared in 2015 that he wasn’t going to come back to the UK to play, I have to admit that I was, as well as being a mite bemused, pretty damned devastated, and a part of me actually died if the truth be known.  I was worried that I’d left it too late and that I’d never lay eyes on my beloved Misery Mozzery again!  DISASTER !  He’s such a massive Diva!  Having said that, I DO like a man who can have a tantrum-level strop, though!  Very

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2020

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS FRIDAY, 06 MARCH 2020 Vocals:  MORRISSEY Guitars:  BOZ BOORER Guitars:  JESSE TOBIAS Bass:  MANDO LOPEZ Drums:  MATT WALKER Keyboards:  GUSTAVO MANZUR Support:  None Moz Tour Poster 2020: All four European Dates.  Sadly, Paris was called off due to the Corona virus (aka  Miley Cyrus) Before I begin, if I may, I’d like to go back in the mists of time now to two years ago.  After the European tour was pulled in the summer of 2018, I really thought that Moz would never play in Blighty again. I had tickets for both of the Manchester Castlefield Bowl dates, as did some of my friends who had travelled all the way from the US and Canada, and we were all devastated to say the very least. Please do forgive my rant now, but a certain so-called “Superstar” DJ who held his pathetic little anti-Morrissey event on the same night as the ill-fated first Castlefield date, who was almost immediately prior to that selling a book whic

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2018

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS SATURDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2018 Vocals: MORRISSEY Guitars: BOZ BOORER Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS Bass: MANDO LOPEZ Drums: MATT WALKER Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR Support: None Flyer for Morrissey UK Tour Dates 2018, not including the added shows at Brixton Academy and the London Palladium There was a buzz of excitement when the announcement was made that Morrissey would be touring dear old Blighty again in early 2018, and in particular because the tickets went on sale a mere 2 weeks before his new album  “Low In High School”  was due to be released.  LIHS would prove to be a triumphant return to form for His Very Mozzerness, and so far has spawned the excellent singles  “Spent The Day In Bed”  and  “Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage” , with  “All The Young People Must Fall In Love”  due to follow in early March 2018 at the time of this here piece being penned.   UPDATE:   "My Love, I'd Do Anything For You&quo