Skip to main content

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2018

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS
SATURDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2018

Vocals: MORRISSEY
Guitars: BOZ BOORER
Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS
Bass: MANDO LOPEZ
Drums: MATT WALKER
Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR

Support: None

Flyer for Morrissey UK Tour Dates 2018, not including the added shows at Brixton Academy and the London Palladium
There was a buzz of excitement when the announcement was made that Morrissey would be touring dear old Blighty again in early 2018, and in particular because the tickets went on sale a mere 2 weeks before his new album “Low In High School” was due to be released.  LIHS would prove to be a triumphant return to form for His Very Mozzerness, and so far has spawned the excellent singles “Spent The Day In Bed” and “Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage”, with “All The Young People Must Fall In Love” due to follow in early March 2018 at the time of this here piece being penned.  UPDATE: "My Love, I'd Do Anything For You" would appear to be the next track that will be released as an A Side, sometime around 23rd March 2018.  Keeps me on my toes does that one!

The build-up as the weeks and months went by was so exquisitely intense; the levels of elation and exhilaration grew and grew.  Seeing and hearing news of the US shows at the tail end of last year as the (first stage of what will hopefully prove to be a worldwide?) tour started just added to the anticipation.

Low In High School sleeve
I was, very sadly, unavoidably detained at work when Moz and the gang did a special show for BBC 6 Music at Maida Vale Studios in that there London Town around the time this was all happening, as, although I applied for tickets, you can bet your bottom dollar my efforts were unsuccessful.  Boo!  So, I watched it during my lunch break.  Great timing!  Other than the reference to the ongoing UKIP Leadership saga (yawn!), it was from what I recollect a fairly uncontroversial affair.  Unless you count the fantastic “Return of The Black Panthers” tees that the guys (apart from Mozzer) all sported.  WANT!  Sam “Esty” Rayner, if you’re reading this, can you sort one out for me, PLEASE?  Wouldn’t say no to a nice black beret, either!  Ta, love!

Flyer for Morrissey at Maida Vale Studios, BBC 6 Music October 2017
Time duly did as I wished, and the day soon arrived when the tickets for the UK tour went on sale (on 3rd November 2017 at 10 am).  As opposed to the previous occasion when I found myself sat in front of a computer with about 5 tabs open for different ticket providers and a finger hovering over the ubiquitous F5 key to enable that all-important refresh function, if I was able to get hold of some tickets in this instance then it would be a mere 18 months by the time the gig came around since I last saw Moz come out to play.  When I did the same thing back in 2016 to get tickets for what turned out to be Mozzer’s only UK show of that year in my beloved Mancunia at the Arena, a record-breaking 21 YEARS had passed since I’d seen that charming man live in action!  I can bear a grudge with the best of ‘em!

Fortune smiled on me that day, as I was able to score tickets for seats in the Level 1 Tier at the First Direct Arena show in SUPER LEEDS which not only guaranteed a great view of proceedings on the night, but would save the tired old legs of myself and The Almighty Spacelord of Ashton-under-Lyne, also known as my husband Mr Jason Edward Cooke, esquire.  Talk about bloody ECSTATIC!  Unfortunately, as I am now temping since seeing Moz in 2016, I didn’t have the required pennies to line up any other shows on the tour.  Sob!  I would have loved to go to the Ally Pally in London (or the Alexandra Palace to give the venue its formal name) especially, as I recall an outstanding Moz gig taking place there way back in 1992 when he was supported by the much missed Kirsty MacColl, but no way could I afford to cough up for the travel and accommodation.  Never mind, I’m not greedy!  To be going once was enough for me!

Tickets for the First Direct Arena Show in Super Leeds!  Yaaas!
I set about booking a hotel as near as possible to the Arena in Leeds for Jay and I as soon as I’d landed the tickets, but changed my mind about 3 times before eventually settling on one closer to the train station a matter of days before we were due to go.  I always did like to live dangerously!  Besides which, I’m a tight Yorkshire, curmudgeonly old bugger nowadays doesn’t tha know!  HOW FUCKING MUCH for a room PER NIGHT?  On yer bike, son!  I saved the best part of £50 by shopping around, so ner!  I’m not made of ruddy money, you know!

As the day of the gig rapidly approached, I was delighted to find out during the same week that there would be a MPorium UK Pop Up Shop, AND a Vegan Feast Festival hosted by the Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen which was just around the corner from the Arena.  Huzzah!  And indeed, get in!  I was getting proper giddy by this point, and posting like a good ‘un on my various social media accounts to let the whole world know just how much I was looking forward to once again seeing the Beautiful Bastard that is Mozzer in the flesh!

Finally, it was the weekend!  MORRISSEY DAY, Part 2!  For me, anyway!  I was up stupidly early, surprise surprise, and before long Jay and I were on the train to Leeds in the early afternoon.  I wore my Manchester Arena 20th August 2016 Albert Finney official tee (paired with a red hairclip) underneath my black Moz Harrington jacket and a scarf to keep me warm.  It was damned cold out, but the sun was shining so that made me very happy!  Once we arrived in the esteemed county of my birth (a momentous occasion, don’t you know!), we made quick work of finding our hotel and checking in, then immediately set off to walk over to the Belgrave.

On the way, we bumped into a few of my Moz Army chums including Andy Waind, Matt Page and Charlie Holden which was great, and we had a natter with them for a few minutes.  They’d just come from the Pop Up Shop as it happens, but Andy decided spontaneously that he wanted to go back for seconds so he accompanied me and Jay the short distance left to the Belgrave.  When we got there, we met more Moz Army pals, George BraySheridan Whitehead and Cheryl Prophett, which again was lovely as it’s always nice to put faces to names.

We found the spot in the Belgrave where the MPorium was set up, and after much deliberation I decided to chance the lucky dip, three t-shirts for £15 offer.  And boy, am I glad I did!  I got 2 of the Camden Pop Up tees from the event held a few months before which I was rather pleased with, but the undoubted bargain of the day was the Boxers tee which I was absolutely thrilled with as I’d planned to get one anyway from the website that would have set me back £25!  So I saved £20 just on that one!  However, the much sought after limited edition (I think!) Detention Crew tees which had been widely advertised as being available were not as they hadn’t been delivered, and nobody seemed to know why.  As Toyah (Wilcox) once said, it’s a mystery!

MPorium Pop up Shop decor at the Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen

MPorium Pop up Shop Merchandise at the Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen
Once I’d spent some of the dosh I’d put aside especially for buying merchandise goodies, we had a wander around the Belgrave which was a hive of activity as loads of people were sampling the delicious vegan fayre on offer.  We were starving by this point, so Jay got a slice of pizza with lots of veggies and no cheese, and I treated myself to a “dirty” (hee hee!) Canadian delicacy called a “poutine”, the standard one by the name of “The Montreal”.  It consisted of chips, cheese curds (vegan, of course!), and a gorgeous mushroom gravy, with a few chives thrown on top as a garnish.  Fucking lush it was, a very Northern (England) dish too if you ask me!  FIT!

After we’d satisfied our hunger pangs, Jay and I went for a stroll and slipped down some Leeds side streets in an attempt to actually find the First Direct Arena.  We literally went all around the houses (and several huge blocks of flats) before discovering it was 2 minutes from the Belgrave! D’Oh!  Well, I guess it was an opportunity to walk off all the lovely food we’d not long since scoffed, anyway!  As we passed the Arena, some hardcore fans (I’m possibly looking at YOU, Marianne Price and Katie Griffiths?) were already outside braving the elements to queue in the freezing winter wonderland.  For those about to ROCK, we salute YOU!

When we’d got our bearings, we walked back through town and stopped off at a couple of record shops.  We went to Relics Records where we ran into more of the fantabulous Moz Army gang (Paul Rhodes and Stuart Kirk) and had a chat about what we’d bought from the MPorium, and then Crash Records which I used to frequent on an indecently regular basis decades before as a teen along with its mate Jumbo Records, as well as the regrettably defunct Big Tree Records in my native Huddersfield before Manchester stole my heart!  Crash had a sweet deal whereby they were giving away freebies.  We bagged (see what I did there?) some fabulous The Queen Is Dead totes simply by flashing our sacred Moz tickets for the show later.

We decided it was time to meander back to the hotel after this, to chill out for a bit and change.  I donned my second tee of the day which was a Manchester Arena 20th August 2016 Morrissey Yellow Shirt bootleg, lovely little number it is! I matched it with a pretty yellow flower hairclip as I have a thing for items of clothing and accessories going together, then we headed out to get some scran before the start of the evening’s entertainment.

Unfortunately, the first place we tried (Bengal Brasserie) which was directly across the road from the Arena was rammed full, so we had to trek a bit further than we planned to get fed.  I’m ashamed to admit that I dragged my feet and sulked like the petulant Leo child I am as it was bloody freezing (Jay is a saint to put up with me, I tell thee!), but I soon cheered up once we found a new place (Zizzi) to get something to eat.  As I’d not only had the very naughty lunch mentioned before, but a bizarre breakfast of homemade vegan mac ‘n’ cheese leftovers and a few chips (like five, if my memory serves me well!), I thought I should be good so got a Green Goddess salad.  Jay had pizza, and we both polished off our grub in no time at all.

Me in Zizzi, about to tuck into my rather healthy Green Goddess Salad
Immediately after we’d been sated, we walked back up to the Arena and, after we’d gone through the security checks set up outside and entered the foyer, we made our way over to the Merchandise stall. I indulged myself with a green Mozzer LIHS hat and scarf to go with the burgundy ones I’d already bought from the site a few months back, as well a blue slipmat.  I think it’s always reet grand to have a splendid souvenir from a gig!

Me and The Almighty Spacelord of Ashton-under-Lyne, aka Mr Jason Edward Cooke, esquire arriving at the Arena
We got some drinks from the bar (there was absolutely no drama this time I’m pleased to report, unlike at Manchester Arena where Jay and I had to deal with a cheeky little Neo-Nazi Bizzatch trying to jump the queue!), then made our way to our seats in the lowest level tier.  The view before and below us of the stage and the crowd in the standing area which was rapidly increasing in size was a wondrous sight to behold.  The recently deceased actor and exhibitor of fine sartorial elegance, the late, great, Peter Wyngarde (best known for playing the role of the suave and sophisticated Jason King), stared out at us from the huge backdrop.  Many old tracks were played as Mozzer’s devotees filed into the auditorium to find their places, and the atmosphere became ever more electric.

Peter Wyngarde Stage Backdrop, and crowd gathering in the Standing Area
Another member of the Moz Army posse, Richard Blant, came over to say hi which was really sweet, and I also stumbled upon more members of the crew, Justin Williams and Dave "Saucy" Fendley when I nipped to the loo just before the videos started.  It was marvellous to meet so many like-minded people, and especially those I’ve become friendly with in the “virtual world” as Jay so eloquently put it earlier.

It seemed like no time at all before the video montage kicked in, which featured the likes of The Four TopsJames Brown, the New York DollsDionne Warwick and the Ramones to name but a few.  My personal favourite was The Human League performing that great new wave electro anthem “Sound Of The Crowd” (Phil Oakey’s hair was legendary!).  I got a bit carried away enthusiastically mimicking the ace 80s arm swinging movements so deftly demonstrated by Susan Ann Sulley and Joanne Catherall which attracted a few stares here and there.  Fuck it, I was enjoying my little self and nobody was going to stop me!

Before I even had time to blink and catch my breath, the moment I had been waiting for arrived without warning catching me unawares, and MORRISSEY ran onto the stage with the rest of the band (hurrah!), to the obvious joy of everyone in attendance.  He kicked off with a cover of a song by Elvis “The Shoplifter” Pelvis which has become a firm favourite, “You’ll Be Gone”.

My VERY happy little face, with dimples beam deployed to generate enough electricity to power the entire Arena!
The setlist was nothing less than brilliant, and as well as drawing heavily from the new album LIHS (“Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage”, “I Wish You Lonely”, “I Bury the Living” and “Spent The Day In Bed” being but a few that were given another welcome outing), some classics were also thrown into the mix.  “World Peace Is None of Your Business”, “The Bullfighter Dies”, “Jack The Ripper”, “Suedehead”, “Hold On To Your Friends” (wow!) and “How Soon Is Now?” (double wow, no, in fact, make that Holy Mother of FUCK!) all got an airing which was wonderful to hear.  Morrissey’s voice was SUBLIME throughout the night, so powerful: it soared like a majestic eagle.  The lad’s on bloody FIRE at the moment!

Another Smiths track that was performed was “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish”, something which was an absolute honour to experience (“I grabbed you by the Heinz Baked Beans”, I absolutely LOVE that!).  The other non-Smiths cover played apart from Elvis Aaron Presley (The King!) was a rousing version of “Back On The Chain Gang” by The Pretenders which I really enjoyed despite not being a major fan of theirs (sacrilege, I know!), and the old photo of Chrissie Hynde on the backdrop was cool, too.

Morrissey was in fine form all evening, and seemed incredibly happy to be in Luxurious Leeds.  When introducing the band, he cheekily claimed that Boz was from Skipton!  Funny man!  A somewhat poignant thing Mozzer said though which gave me (and everyone else present, I’m sure) food for thought was “The more we try to forget, the more we seem to remember”.  That’s some incredibly profound shizzle right there, y’all!

Sincere apologies for the shite quality, but here's Mozzer in action! Woo!
All too soon, the show was drawing to a close.  When the familiar strains of “Everyday Is Like Sunday” rang out, I can’t deny that I became VERY emotional, for that is the song that changed my entire LIFE, FOREVERMORE!  The whole venue sang along, after which Moz and his merry men left the stage for a brief time.

But of course, there was the small matter of an encore to be attended to.  Moz and the boys ran back onto the stage and played a rip-roaring “Irish Blood, English Heart” which unsurprisingly went down an absolute storm!  Just before they started, Mozzer proclaimed to the crowd: “I love you, I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU!”. Awwh, how cute was that? We luff you, too! The (in)famous shirt toss took place as IBEH came to a close, which resulted in a ferocious tussle amongst all of the guys and gals near enough to the scrum in the standing area immediately in front of the stage to throw themselves into the mix.  Highly prized though the spoils certainly would have been, I was very grateful to be in my comfortable seat with my best friend at my side, as I’m just too old for that shit!  Soz, Moz!  Love ya like you wouldn’t believe, but I seriously can’t hack it anymore and I ain’t going out like that! Mmmm hmmm!

Final Backdrop Image of the night, Mozzer in "Day Of The Dead" Guise
Having said all that, MASSIVE respect is DUE to those hardy souls on the frontline, as it were, willing to risk life and limb to get their eager little hands on a piece of history!  I was very lucky to recently be given the opportunity to see and smell a piece of Morrissey’s shirt from his Aberdeen show on this tour that was attended by the proud owner of said fragment of clothing (Katie Griffiths as mentioned before, who works in the fantastically eclectic (and eccentric!) Empire Exchange in Manchester with her gigging companion Paul), and I can categorically state that the inherent dangers involved in obtaining such a precious thing are well worth it!  I was expecting it to understandably be a full on Sweaty Betty affair fragrance-wise, but no, blow me if it wasn’t THE most damned divine cologne that’s ever hit my nostrils in my entire life!  I believe it goes by the name of Incense Avignon and is made by Comme des Garçons, ruddy gorgeous stuff it is!

Anyhoo, I digress, back to the matter at hand now.  The houselights came up as soon as IBEH had finished and the band had departed from the stage for the final time that evening.  Jay and I wearily made our way out and decided to go straight back to our warm and cosy hotel room rather than head over to the Aftershow event we had tickets for as it was fucking perishing, arctic if the truth be known, and we were fecking well knackered!  This little kitty likes her home comforts, and I refuse to apologise for it!

What, I hear you ask, did we get up to when we got back to the hotel?  We turned in for the night and slept quite soundly, well, apart from the rowdy buggers making a racket coming and going from the pub next door keeping us up, anyway!

The next morning, we checked out (my tee for the day was a The Queen Is Dead bootleg) and went to a lovely establishment called Roots and Fruits for breakfast (my scrambled tofu was scrumptious!), then we wandered over to Jumbo Records for a mooch and a browse!  We then headed over to the station to catch our train, and on the journey back we came upon yet another fully paid up member of the Moz Army, the very charming Graham Chard.  It was fantastic to have met so many top peeps over the course of the weekend, and helped to make our visit to Leeds a very memorable one, along with our Steven Patrick OBVS!

So then, to sum it up, we had a FANTASTIC, EPIC night! To have been fortunate enough to see Mozzer again was ALWAYS going to be a PLEASURE, and NEVER a CHORE!  As well as being the perfect host, the man is a bona fide COMEDY GENIUS!

ANGIE J COOKE nėe LEWIS
Manchester, ENGLAND

My draft version of this here piece in handwritten and typed formats

 MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS
SATURDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2018

The full setlist for the concert is as follows:

1) You’ll Be Gone (Elvis Presley)
2) I Wish You Lonely
3) Suedehead
4) Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage
5) Home Is A Question Mark
6) Munich Air Disaster 1958
7) I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish (The Smiths)
8) Who Will Protect Us From The Police?
9) World Peace Is None of Your Business
10) Jack The Ripper
11) Back On The Chain Gang (The Pretenders)
12) I Bury The Living
13) When You Open Your Legs
14) If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look At Me
15) Spent The Day In Bed
16) My Love, I’d Do Anything For You
17) The Bullfighter Dies
18) Hold On To Your Friends
19) How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)
20) Everyday Is Like Sunday

ENCORE:

21) Irish Blood, English Heart

My spoils from a truly memorable weekend!


For more reviews of the 2018 UK and Ireland Tour dates, as well as lots of other Moz-related delights, please do check out my friend Marianne Price's blog: http://mozzermatters.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrissey at Manchester Arena in 2016

MORRISSEY – MANCHESTER ARENA SATURDAY, 20 AUGUST 2016 Vocals: MORRISSEY Guitars: BOZ BOORER Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS Bass: MANDO LOPEZ Drums: MATT WALKER Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR Support: DAMIEN DEMPSEY Poster for Manchester Arena Gig For a myriad of reasons which I’ll save for sharing with you all on another day, I hadn’t even CONTEMPLATED , yet alone been interested in, going to a Mozzer gig for a HUGE amount of time! My last one being Drury Lane Theatre in London way back in February 1995 ( over 21 YEARS ago!! ).  When Moz declared in 2015 that he wasn’t going to come back to the UK to play, I have to admit that I was, as well as being a mite bemused, pretty damned devastated, and a part of me actually died if the truth be known.  I was worried that I’d left it too late and that I’d never lay eyes on my beloved Misery Mozzery again!  DISASTER !  He’s such a massive Diva!  Having said that, I DO like a man who can have a tantrum-level strop, though!  Very

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2020

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS FRIDAY, 06 MARCH 2020 Vocals:  MORRISSEY Guitars:  BOZ BOORER Guitars:  JESSE TOBIAS Bass:  MANDO LOPEZ Drums:  MATT WALKER Keyboards:  GUSTAVO MANZUR Support:  None Moz Tour Poster 2020: All four European Dates.  Sadly, Paris was called off due to the Corona virus (aka  Miley Cyrus) Before I begin, if I may, I’d like to go back in the mists of time now to two years ago.  After the European tour was pulled in the summer of 2018, I really thought that Moz would never play in Blighty again. I had tickets for both of the Manchester Castlefield Bowl dates, as did some of my friends who had travelled all the way from the US and Canada, and we were all devastated to say the very least. Please do forgive my rant now, but a certain so-called “Superstar” DJ who held his pathetic little anti-Morrissey event on the same night as the ill-fated first Castlefield date, who was almost immediately prior to that selling a book whic