Skip to main content

Morrissey at Manchester Arena in 2016

MORRISSEY – MANCHESTER ARENA
SATURDAY, 20 AUGUST 2016

Vocals: MORRISSEY
Guitars: BOZ BOORER
Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS
Bass: MANDO LOPEZ
Drums: MATT WALKER
Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR

Support: DAMIEN DEMPSEY

Poster for Manchester Arena Gig

For a myriad of reasons which I’ll save for sharing with you all on another day, I hadn’t even CONTEMPLATED, yet alone been interested in, going to a Mozzer gig for a HUGE amount of time! My last one being Drury Lane Theatre in London way back in February 1995 (over 21 YEARS ago!!).  When Moz declared in 2015 that he wasn’t going to come back to the UK to play, I have to admit that I was, as well as being a mite bemused, pretty damned devastated, and a part of me actually died if the truth be known.  I was worried that I’d left it too late and that I’d never lay eyes on my beloved Misery Mozzery again!  DISASTER!  He’s such a massive Diva!  Having said that, I DO like a man who can have a tantrum-level strop, though!  Very much like my good self!  Love it!

So, when Morrissey announced out of the blue recently that he WOULD be doing a show in the UK this year, and not only that, but he was coming home to wondrous Mancunia in that most favoured of months, August, and that it would be the SOLO date he was going to play in merry old England in 2016, well, that was the wake-up call I needed!  I decided immediately that it was time to end the longstanding grudge I’d (perhaps unreasonably? I dunno) held against the boy from St Retford for so very long and rectify the situation forthwith!

On the morning of the day that the tickets were due to go on sale (8th July 2016 at 9 am, it is forever etched on my mind!), for the first time in aeons I was a quivering, nervous wreck!  What if I didn’t manage to get hold of any?  I was at work at the time, and I was multi-tasking like a good ‘un on my office PC and on my phone, constantly pressing Refresh, Refresh, REFRESH!  F5 Key, you legend!  Success was mine, happily, as I was thankfully able to score some tickets for me and my husband Jay, who himself hadn’t seen Moz since 2009.  Yay!  Sadly, I could only afford to stretch to the very cheapest of the seated options which were up in the Gods of the Manchester Arena, but just to have the chance to eyeball that beautiful bastard once more after the passing of such a long time was priceless!

The tickets took a while to arrive which stressed me out no end, and by which time I’d quit my hated job of 7 and a half years, but they arrived on 1st August which ensured that it was a superb start to the month.  As well as finding a new role which started on the 8th, it was our 4th wedding anniversary just before on the 4th which saw us taking in the sights of the gorgeous city of York during a couple of days away, and my birthday the week after that on the 10th.  Going to see Morrissey was the icing on the cake, you can be sure of that!


Tickets!

Hearing news of the MPorium Pop up Shop that was going to be held at the utterly wondrous Salford Lads Club (hereby referred to as the SLC) during the weekend that Mozzer was in town was as sweet as you like, seeing as I’d missed out on the one set up at Battersea Dogs Home in London a while back.

Before too long, Saturday 20th August 2016 had arrived.  MORRISSEY DAYThe cheeky dimples I've inherited from my darling Pater were well and truly on display, and I would even go as far as to say that the beam emitted from them could have powered the whole of the North West for a MONTH!  I was THAT ecstatic!  I got up super early that morning, and wore a fetching white Moz T Shirt with a piccie of the great man himself and MORRISSEY written vertically next to it in big, bold red letters.  Ruddy stunning it is, one of my old skool issues from back in the day. I headed straight over to SLC after performing my charitable deed for the day which involved dropping off some donations at a local Oxfam branch in Manchester City Centre.

As I waited for the bus, I noticed some young women who both also had Morrissey T Shirts on which made me smile.  I was old enough to be their mother, mind you!  Manchester really did feel like it was there for the taking that day, a RUSH and a PUSH and the land could indeed have been OURS!  So, I boarded my princely mode of transport and was able to nip over to SLC before the girls and their companion as they got off a stop too early.  Oops!  There was a semblance of a queue when I skipped over to the club when I’d been dropped off, but I didn’t mind as the atmosphere was buzzing!  The rain was at that very moment falling hard on a humdrum town, but it was all part of the fun!


Waiting outside SLC

After about 15 minutes or so, the queue started moving.  They were letting us in on a staggered basis, in waves of about 10 people or so.  As I waited, I overheard a guy in front of me saying that visitors who had bought some of the bundles on sale the previous day (at £70 a pop, ouch!) had immediately put them on eBay for in the region of £200-£210!  Cheeky feckers, how outrageous is THAT?!

Eventually, I was allowed into the hallowed grounds of SLC, and followed the crowd in front of me into the gym hall which had been set up not only as the MPorium, but also had a range of the club’s own delectable range of Smiths and Mozzer related merchandise.  Being the stingy ickle lickle Yorkshire madam that I am, I’d vowed to not buy anything more than a set of badges (which they bloody well didn’t have!), but in the end I couldn’t resist the Autobiography package which was comprised of a fabulous heavy duty tote bag, a signed (oooh!) copy of the hardback version of the book, a poster, a pen (with “Penis Mightier Than the Sword” (nudge nudge, wink wink, fner, fner!) printed on it) and a rather nice Penguin bookmark. A bit on the steep side at £70 as I’ve said, but worth every penny!  It would have accrued in value as well before I’d even left the point of sale, going off what I said earlier!

Autobiography bundle

I also picked up some of the SLC goodies from the lovely volunteers, namely yet more of their badges (I think I’m addicted to them!), a couple of postcards, and the book “Reader Meet Author” by N(eil) S Calcutt.  I nabbed a poster and flyer to go with this latter, splendid acquisition which was wonderful stuff.  I had a brief natter with Amber and Ross, two of the top regulars who help out, and it was terrific to catch up with them both.


Reader Meet Author

I got a brew from the tea room at this juncture, and had a wander around the breath-taking piece of architecture that is SLC.  In the “Smiths” Room, I was delighted to see that the photo of me outside the club from April 2015 (complete with “Angie from Huddersfield” caption) was still on the ceiling on the far right hand side as you enter it, directly underneath the large “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore” poster (WANT!).  Now, I’ve made no secret of the fact that “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore” is unquestionably my FAVOURITE song of all time EVER, not just Smiths and Mozzer either, so I consider it an immense honour and a privilege to have been placed there.


Ceiling, Smiths Room, SLC

I wandered upstairs, where in the boxing room were some Promo Stands featuring Steven Patrick “Action is My Middle Name” Morrissey in classic fighter stance.  Another of the volunteers kindly took a piccie of me next to one of them, fist raised in mock fury. It was an excellent photo which I immediately posted to my Twitter and Facebook accounts.  So extraordinarily vainglorious! The wonders of modern technology, eh?!


Me and Mozzer at SLC

I went back outside at this point, where I got talking to a top group of fellow fans by the names of John, Mari, Paul and Colette. They were admiring my Autobiography bag which was casually slung over my shoulder. I had a bit of a chinwag with them about why it was such a drastically long stretch since I’d last been to a Mozzer gig, and they were all proper excited for me to be seeing Mozzerooni La La again after literally decades away from the fold. John very considerately took some photos of me beneath the famous (and VERY recently, newly restored!) sign above the SLC doorway, and then they went inside to have a ganders at the tasty wares on sale.


Me outside SLC, yet again!

Whilst yakking away to the gang and going on with myself as is (too?!) often the case, the familiar yellow and black Manchester Music Tours van pulled up, driven by the very capable Craig Gill, he being the drummer of Inspiral Carpets distinction.  Now, I’ve been on The Smiths excursion before with Jay and it’s reet grand, but today was something else as Craig had several chums in tow!  Yes, an impressive vintage red double decker bus, crammed full of numerous eager Mozzheads, parked up next to its bessie mate.  I’d mulled over booking to go once more and see all of the familiar haunts, but I had much to do before the day was out so had to give it a miss.  Still, it was cool to briefly see Craig, even if I didn’t get to say hello this time around!


Manchester Music Tours Minibus and Vintage Red Double Decker

I hung around outside for a bit longer, then met the ace Jo Cooper and her partner Kev.  We went inside for a short time, where Jo picked up the Bona Drag set.  As it was Jo and Kev’s first visit to the club, I gave them a brief guide of what was there to check out.  We went back outside where I took some photos of them both in the SLC doorway on their camera.  It was at this time that I bade them farewell until later on and headed back into town.  I’d lost the day ticket I’d bought earlier, so had to pay TWICE in the end which as a Yorkshire born and bred lass did NOT please me one bit!


Me and Jo Cooper

Anyhoo, I got the bus to Levenshulme once I hit the city centre, to find the Moz for Every Occasion stall set up especially for that day only on the market.  They were a charming young couple, who sell unique greetings cards with lyrics from Smiths and Morrissey songs.  I bought a few of these from them and we had a nice chat, before I got a bus home to get ready for the evening’s festivities. 


Moz for Every Occasion Cards

I took shots of all my brilliant purchases when I got back, then carefully put them all away.  Before too long had passed, our good friend Neil (Smith!) arrived, who was also going to the show later.  We were all three of us getting a wee bit giddy by now!  We cracked open the wine, vigorously belted out a few ditties on SingStar (including some by our eminent figurehead!), put on a bit of the old Hulmerist on DVD, and had some scran to keep us going (I’d only had a bag of ready salted crisps all day, such was the level of excitement!).  I changed into my second T Shirt of the day, another white one but with a different Moz pic from the one I had sported earlier, surrounded by “SMITHS” repeatedly in huge pink horizontal letters.    I also put on my Johnny Marr type purple velvet blazer which I LOVE!

We got the bus into Manchester, and walked across to Victoria Station.  We headed for the bar there, which I’d been told in advance would be playing non-stop Smiths and Mozzer tunage.  This turned out to be spot on. Get in!  We met a stand-up comedy friend of Jay and Neil’s called Adam Bowman and his girlfriend Anna who were both also going to the concert.  We had one round of drinks which was extortionately expensive (£7.20 for a large glass of white wine! Fackin’ ‘Ell!  They saw us coming, all right!), then after talking tattoos (I have “Oh Manchester, so much to answer for” inked on my left forearm which I flashed to the guys!) wandered over to the arena to get ready for His Very Mozzerness to bestow his esteemed presence upon his devoted disciples.


Meat Is Murder

We sauntered over to the merchandise stall, and amongst the faberooni T Shirts for sale was one that caught my eye in a heartbeat. It was a limited edition one produced especially for the gig, featuring the photo of a young Albert Finney also used in the posters to promote the event. It HAD to be bought (so much for being frugal!), so I got one each for me and Jay as a nice souvenir of the night.


Limited Edition T-Shirt Front

Limited Edition T-Shirt Back

We headed over to one of the many bars just before going to find our seats (Neil had got his ticket separately as a surprise from his wife Cat, so would be in a different part of the venue from us although not too far away), when some nasty wreck of a bitch ass Nazi buffoon decided to jump the queue.  The “gentleman” concerned was wretchedly thin, balding, toothless and as drunk as a skunk.  At first, we thought he’d tried to push in the queue next to us which was bad enough, but when it became apparent that it was in fact ours, Jay tried in vain to have a quiet word.  The dude wasn’t having any of it, however, so I furiously pushed ahead in front of him (as was suggested by an indignant lady behind me in the queue who was extremely annoyed by the lack of manners displayed by the accursed oik of a ruffian), to make it clear that his behaviour was not acceptable.

This fuckwit of a dickhead had kept his back to Jay and refused to even look him in the eye when my husband had done his best to reason with him, but the second I attempted to shove this muppet out of the way in order to recover our places in the queue and told him to get to the back of it, he swung around like a man possessed, and waved around a bunch of fives, his face contorted in a snarl of seething (misguided!) rage.  He threatened to strike me and constantly referred to me as a “Black Bitch” and a “Black Bastard”!  The absolute nerve of him!  Jay was beyond incensed and told the geezer in no uncertain terms to stop talking to his wife like that!  I challenged the prick to “Hit a girl, go on, then!”.  Talk about the adrenalin flowing!

This living example of a subhuman species, clearly sans company (who on earth would want to be associated with such an epic Cuntlord, I have to wonder?!), had the cheek to claim that he had returned to join a “friend” (yeah, right!) in the queue, but when I asked the unfortunate chap he was referring to if this was the case and they were in fact together, his exact response was “Is he FUCK!”, which told me all I needed to know! 

By this stage, the rest of the queue was appalled by the Neanderthal’s disgusting, repellent and repugnant behaviour, as were the staff manning the bar who point blank refused to serve him!  He racially abused me further as he sloped off from the scene of his hate crime with a flea in his ear and his tail between his legs like the cowardly piece of shit that he was!  See that IDIOT walk?  Yes, we certainly did!  I yelled “Nazi Bastard” at him at the top of my voice for good measure as he ran off like a motherfucking pussy!  My Leonine fire and ire had come to the fore, and I think he was genuinely alarmed by the seriously deranged look in my eyes.  What a twat of a wanker!  He was obviously exceedingly jealous of my MAHOOSIVE “Afro Quiff” (© Master Jason Edward Cooke Esq., to give my better half his full title!) which, combined with my boss (thanks, Dickie Felton!) glasses, made me look FEARSOME!  “People” (if you can call him that!) of such ill-bred ilk ought to just do one, jog on and GET GONE!

When we FINALLY got to the bar after all the commotion, a few people in the queue asked me if I was okay which was really kind of them.  I had my faith restored in humanity, for sure!  The young girl who got our drinks order gave us some of them (possibly ALL them, as I’m not certain I was charged at all!) for free, and said the guy was “A Jerk”.  She wasn’t wrong!

We left the bar to enjoy our hard fought and won refreshments, feeling elated that we’d seen off such an unpleasant dickwand and “Handed him his arse on a plate without employing the use of fisticuffs” as Jay so succinctly put it, then Neil went off to find his seat and Jay and I headed off up into the Gods, also known as the Upper Tiers, to find ours (Block 208, Row M, Seats 26 and 27, if you really want to know!).  Despite the vast distance of the stage from where we were located in the arena, we were slap bang opposite and could adoringly gaze at the Moz directly. He wouldn’t have been able to see us which was fine, but WE could see HIM which was what mattered.

We’d regrettably missed the support act Damien Dempsey and the pre-show video due to the “jolly” shenanigans that had reluctantly claimed our attention earlier, but about 5 minutes after we’d sat down, the moment we’d been waiting for arrived. MORRISSEY was in the house, and I was seeing him before my very eyes IN THE FLESH for the first time in 21 long, long YEARS!!  The crowd went mad as you would rightfully expect, and Morrissey broke into song as the familiar chords of “Suedehead” rang out across the stadium.  Morrissey had greeted the crowd with something like “Basta, Basta, Basta” (I think!) as he strolled casually onto the stage, and he seemed to be on unusually (as far as I’m concerned, anyway!) good form (“You had to sneak into my room, just to see the Stretford gloom!” being a joyful example).


Me enjoying the show

The next track was “Alma Matters”, which Adam had said earlier he’d really like to hear live, so Jay and I were most pleased about this.  There were, to my shame, a few songs I didn’t know at all well due to the self-imposed boycott I’d observed for such a lengthy spell, but there were a few undoubted highlights which delighted me and fair reduced Jay to tears on more than one occasion.  “Suedehead” as mentioned before, “What She Said”, “Ouija Board, Ouija Board”, “Everyday Is Like Sunday” and “Jack The Ripper” were all well received by me and Jay naturally, and, at the risk of sounding like *affects American accent* cheese on a stick, there was a LOT of love in the room for Sir Steven Patrick of Morrissey which was spectacular not only to see but to FEEL, too!


Jam packed Manchester Arena Take 1

Jam packed Manchester Arena Take 2

When “Ganglord” was performed, it was accompanied by an incredibly graphic video showing way too many examples of police brutality which was terrible to watch.  “Meat is Murder” was, as to be expected, played with such passion, fury and incredulity at the sheer audacity that people in this day and age still choose to consume animal products.  Being a carnivore myself (I'm a lapsed vegetarian – I know, the lowest of the low according to the maverick that is Sean Hughes! Soz!), I can completely understand this, and my conscience pricks at me constantly.

Some horrifically violent footage (the young man next to me couldn’t bear it, and he had his head in his hands for the entire thing, the poor kid) was played to the wary audience while “Meat is Murder” was performed, which just added to my already growing sense of guilt.  I think it may be TIME…  At the end, Morrissey sang “You’re too FAT to care”, and “You’re too LAZY to care” which dumbfounded me as the vitriol was so tangible.  I can’t blame him, though, he has a point after all.

The backdrops changed constantly during the set, and I didn’t know most of the people featured on them apart from Bruce Lee (looking super cool in a white suit and shades) and Marc Bolan. The one that I remember above all of the others, however, was a picture I’d previously seen shared on social media by Morrissey’s nephew, the Photographer Sam “Esty” Rayner (the small lad in the original “Suedehead” video, so sweet!) featuring a young black boy with his palms held out on display and the words “Rise” and “Up” written on each one.  I couldn’t help but feel proud that I’d not taken any shit from the fascist piece of work Jay and I had clashed with earlier on, and I drew much inspiration from the magnificent image before me. 


Marc Bolan Backdrop

Morrissey was particularly vocal during the night, and some of the following gems came about as he conversed with his doting public:

On Politics: “Sportswomen don’t start wars.  Sportsmen don’t start wars.  Hairdressers don’t start wars.  Cows don’t start wars.  Badgers don’t start wars. Politicians START WARS, and they LOVE IT!”.

On Agriculture: “FUCK the Farmer!” after a monologue covering how a tiny lamb trusts its “master” to look after it but is inevitably betrayed when it is sent to slaughter, just before “Meat is Murder” was played.

On Bullfighting: “The Shame of Spain”.

On Local Government: Morrissey gleefully decreed that he was “The Lord Mayor of Manchester”. Mozzer mistakenly stated that the Mayor of Manchester had been elected and that he was from Liverpool.  He was of course referring to Andy Burnham, who has merely been nominated as the Labour Candidate for Greater Manchester and is in fact from Lancashire.  The post has NOT yet been filled!  Moz said that Andy was very nice, but that someone from Manchester should have been elected before asking where “Alf Roberts” (of Corrie fame) was!  Funny man!  Such a comedy genius!

On his appearance: “I would like to apologise to all the people who are watching me on the big screens.  Because I don’t usually look this bad.  I usually look much WORSE, so count yourselves lucky, this is a GOOD night!”.

On his setlist: “So many songs, so little time!”.  Truer words never were spoketh!

On the passing of friends: “In this year of the Reaper, we would like to remember Victoria Wood, Caroline Aherne, Muhammad Ali, Prince.  Too soon, too soon, too soon”.  There was no reference to his former hero Mr Bowie though, curiously, which didn’t go down well with everybody present in the auditorium.

There were a few costume changes throughout the set, the ultimate of which saw Mozzer in a resplendent ruby red shirt (my favourite colour!) during the one and only encore of the night, “Irish Blood, English Heart”. Said item was duly thrown into the crowd at the end of the song, did you even doubt it?!  Prior to starting this number, Morrissey said “When I talked about how you’re all sick to death of Labour and Tories, well it’s now 2016 and you ARE!”. He’s right, as well!  At the very end of the night, when the boys had finished the last song of the evening, Morrissey’s farewell utterance was “Whatever Happens, I Love You” as he left the stage for the final time, which I thought was an apt parting.

After the show had ended and the house lights went up, Jay and I trudged slowly back downstairs to meet up with Neil and make our weary way home.  We espied the ignorant FOOL of a TOOL of infamous queue-dodging fame who we’d taken down, and at first I was really angry and wanted to confront him.  But then, as I watched him stagger along (it was a miracle he was still awake by then, he must have downed that much alcohol!), I realised he was on his own and muttering away to himself which was when I felt a tad sorry for him actually, as he struck me as being a somewhat pitiful character.

So then, what did I make of my 1st Mozzer gig in over 2 DECADES?  Rip roaring good entertainment, as it happens.  I had a FANTASTIC night and met some awesome people too throughout the whole of the day which proved to be so very special from start to finish. As for the man himself, you ask?  Well, let it be known that I STILL love him despite the MAJOR exasperation of yore I have demonstrated towards him, I ALWAYS have done and I ALWAYS will, FOREVERMORE! I can’t it make any clearer than that….

ANGIE J COOKE nee LEWIS
Manchester, ENGLAND
@adidasangie72 (Twitter)


This here review! Soz for getting Boorer wrong, Boz! Damn Spellchecker!

MORRISSEY – MANCHESTER ARENA
SATURDAY, 20 AUGUST 2016

The full setlist for the concert is as follows:

ENTRANCE: Drumbeat from “The Operation”

1) Suedehead
2) Alma Matters
3) All You Need Is Me
4) You Have Killed Me
5) Ganglord
6) Speedway
7) Istanbul
8) World Peace Is None of Your Business
9) Kiss Me A Lot
10) I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris
11) Ouija Board, Ouija Board
12) Everyday Is Like Sunday
13) The Bullfighter Dies
14) Meat Is Murder
15) It’s Hard to Walk Tall When You’re Small
16) Jack The Ripper
17) One Of Our Own
18) The World Is Full of Crashing Bores
19) I Will See You In Far Off Places
20) What She Said (Rubber Ring Outro)
21) Oboe Concerto

ENCORE:

22) Irish Blood, English Heart

Signed Moz Setlist, photo from T'Internet



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2020

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS FRIDAY, 06 MARCH 2020 Vocals:  MORRISSEY Guitars:  BOZ BOORER Guitars:  JESSE TOBIAS Bass:  MANDO LOPEZ Drums:  MATT WALKER Keyboards:  GUSTAVO MANZUR Support:  None Moz Tour Poster 2020: All four European Dates.  Sadly, Paris was called off due to the Corona virus (aka  Miley Cyrus) Before I begin, if I may, I’d like to go back in the mists of time now to two years ago.  After the European tour was pulled in the summer of 2018, I really thought that Moz would never play in Blighty again. I had tickets for both of the Manchester Castlefield Bowl dates, as did some of my friends who had travelled all the way from the US and Canada, and we were all devastated to say the very least. Please do forgive my rant now, but a certain so-called “Superstar” DJ who held his pathetic little anti-Morrissey event on the same night as the ill-fated first Castlefield date, who was almost immediately prior to that selling a book whic

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2018

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS SATURDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2018 Vocals: MORRISSEY Guitars: BOZ BOORER Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS Bass: MANDO LOPEZ Drums: MATT WALKER Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR Support: None Flyer for Morrissey UK Tour Dates 2018, not including the added shows at Brixton Academy and the London Palladium There was a buzz of excitement when the announcement was made that Morrissey would be touring dear old Blighty again in early 2018, and in particular because the tickets went on sale a mere 2 weeks before his new album  “Low In High School”  was due to be released.  LIHS would prove to be a triumphant return to form for His Very Mozzerness, and so far has spawned the excellent singles  “Spent The Day In Bed”  and  “Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage” , with  “All The Young People Must Fall In Love”  due to follow in early March 2018 at the time of this here piece being penned.   UPDATE:   "My Love, I'd Do Anything For You&quo