Skip to main content

Morrissey at the O2 Apollo, Manchester in 2022

MORRISSEY – O2 APOLLO, MANCHESTER

TUESDAY, 04 OCTOBER 2022

 

Vocals: MORRISSEY

Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS

Guitars: ALAIN WHYTE

Bass: JUAN GALEANO

Drums: BRENDAN BUCKLEY

Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR

 

Support: None


Moz Tour Flyer 2022: It would have been ace to take in the delights of Blackpool, Donny, Glasgae, Stockton and Brum as well as my beloved Manchester, but no dice.  Rats!


Well now, the little planet we call home is an even stranger place than it was when I wrote my last review for the wonderful Morrissey gig of 6th March 2020 that took place at the First Direct Arena in Super Leeds.  Back then, the Covid-19 outbreak was in the post, and boy was it delivered!  What an absolute catastrophe it has been.  I’m very glad to have made it this far to be quite honest with you, as there are a great many people who have not been anywhere near as fortunate.  But on the plus side, former President “Predicament Tramp” Trump and his repugnant chum Boris “Dick” Johnson have both been given the old heave-ho.  Good riddance!

 

Me and the husband (Jason Edward “Entertainment” Cooke, also known as The Almighty Spacelord of Ashton-under-Lyne) actually caught the dreaded Corona Virus (or Miley Cyrus in Cockney slang) back in April of this year, after we’d been to a jam-packed Sparks concert at the Albert Hall in Manchester.  Luckily for us, it was no worse than having a mild cold.  Having said that, my ribs felt like they’d been battered for days on end and only taking paracetamol at regular intervals alleviated the pain.  Ouch!

 

Anyhoo, I digress.  Morrissey has played several dates in the US last year and earlier in 2022 since things calmed down, including a hugely successful five-night residency in Las Vegas.  I was beginning to wonder if this side of the pond was in his bad books again though, when BOOM, out of the blue he announced a single show for Killarney in Ireland.  Just as I was wondering how the hell to get there and if I’d need my passport which is thankfully still in date, the little tinker then added a whole slew of nights in the UK.  Yaas!  There were quite a few which took my fancy, namely Blackpool, Doncaster, Glasgow, Birmingham and Stockton, but in these pressing times with the cost of living crisis a major concern and looming ever closer, it was decided that we should regrettably just go for the one night in the Metropolis that is MANCHESTER.


Moz Tour Poster 2022: Complete with venues and dates


Speaking of which, the date of the Manchester concert was of particular significance for two reasons.  Firstly, 4th October 1982 is when The Smiths played their first ever show in their home city at The Ritz, supporting Blue Rondo A La Turk (who dat?), and secondly, 4th October 1991 is when 19 year old me, with the world at my feet, attended Morrissey’s EPIC Hammersmith Odeon show in that there Lahndan Tahn (giddy London), which is to this day my favourite gig of ALL time.  So what better reason to get me and the Spacelord some tickets scored?!

 

I had to wait until the O2 Priority tickets had been issued as I’m not on that network which was a bit of a nail-biting experience, but I was able to get ours purchased no problem when the rest were made available to everyone.  They were e-tickets too, so no fretting about them getting lost in the post or taking an age to arrive which always stresses me out no end.  Phew!


One of our tickets for the O2 Apollo Manchester 2022


2022 was shaping up to be a great year for me, as not only did I have Morrissey’s homecoming show to look forward to (the last time he played Manchester was in 2016, which we also attended and was the first time I’d done a Mozzer gig of any kind since 1995!), but as well as that I started a spanking new job, we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary, I turned fifty and joined the Half Century Club (oh yes, 1972, you know - I’m a Child of the Revolution!), and I notched up three decades since leaving home and crossing the Pennines to relocate in the MCR and start at university.  I was never one to do anything by halves!

 

Not long after this, fly posters for the Manchester date started appearing all over the city.  I managed to get a photo of some whilst walking in to work one sunny day.  I would have tried to liberate one of them to take home with me, but they were stuck fast so no chance of that!  Oh well.


Fly Posters for the O2 Apollo Manchester show


The summer seemed to whizz by, not surprising at all considering how many activities I had going on and raving it up to do, and before I knew it we were in October.  Then, the date I had been waiting for arrived.  MORRISSEY DAY!  Suddenly, the some two and a half years that had passed since the Leeds show in March 2020 seemed liked mere minutes.  Huzzah!

 

I’d already planned ahead and taken the day off work, so I took a bus into Manchester and passed the Apollo on the way.  I saw the gaggle of hardcore fans who were already waiting outside braving the rain falling hard on a humdrum town, and was very impressed by their determination to get a good spot at the barrier once they were allowed in.  I’m looking at YOU, Hamish!  Balls of STEEL, my man!  Some of these guys had actually camped out overnight, and it made the local news.  We however went for the seated option, as our weary old bones aren’t cut out for standing anymore.

 

I popped into Reel Around The Fountain Records in good old St Retford to have a catch up with the owner Nige Young, then continued with my quest to try to find a nice winter coat to replace the charidee shop bargain that fell to bits and had to be binned.  Prior to my visit to Stretford, I’d called in at Selfridges in town to see what they had.  The only coat I would have considered was a whopping £1790 though, not bloody likely!  Curse my expensive tastes!  As my darling Pater would most definitely say, “Not my price!”.  Shame Morrissey wasn’t there at the time, I would have asked him to lend me a few quid!  Haha!

 

I did manage to pick up a rather lovely black cardigan during my travels mind, so it wasn’t a wasted journey at least.  After my little trip out, I returned home to get some scran before Jay and I set off for the Apollo.  The weather had improved considerably by the time we headed out which was a relief, and we jumped on the infamous 192 bus (it has its own page on Wikipedia, for goodness’ sake!) down to Ardwick where the Apollo is to be found.

 

When we arrived, we were greeted by the longest queue I've laid eyes on in my entire life which we immediately joined.  We waved to a few of our friends on the way including Denise and Jo who both gave me a big hug.  How I love the Moz Army!  One of my lovely Twitter pals John came over and introduced himself, so we all spent the time chatting away while the queue moved rather rapidly until we were at the doors.  I pulled out printed versions of our tickets (they’re souvenirs you understand, which will be kept and cherished along with my others), these were scanned and then we entered the foyer of the venue.


Queue for the O2 Apollo Manchester show, photo courtesy of The Spacelord


The Mozziah and I in the foyer of the O2 Apollo Manchester


We headed over to the merch stall but it was rammed, and anyway I’d been forewarned that it would make more economical sense to get anything I wanted from the online Mporium store so as to avoid the venue mark-up.  Soz Apollo, but I ain’t made of money!  So instead I wandered over to the PETA stand, which I was delighted to find was being officiated by more of my Twitter Moz Fam, namely Andy, George and Tracy.  Another familiar face, Matt, also greeted us as he passed by.  The guys had a few bits and pieces which I was invited to help myself to, and we had a quick chat and a photo before me and Jay headed upstairs to the Circle to get drinks and find our seats.

 

Andy, George, Tracy, my good self and Jay.  Photo courtesy of Andy


My spoils from the gig, including a PETA booklet in lieu of a Tour Programme


As it was a Tuesday night and we’re both being good during the week, we opted for some soft drinks (a cordial and a Pepsi) from the Circle bar.  Talk about living it large!  We then went to the Circle itself to take up our seats (G 33 and 34, fact fans!) which were at the end of our section of the row.  I noticed that various members of Morrissey’s family were seated just behind the edge of the Circle balcony a few rows directly in front of us.  I also espied Sam “Esty” Rayner and Alex “J Casa” Joannides giving their relatives lots of hugs (Awwh!).  Alex spotted me on his way back up the stairs and actually stopped to say hello and shake my hand.  Such a lovely thing to do which made my day!  Cheers, Alex!


Our view of the stage from our seats in The Circle.  Not too shabby!


A lady came to claim her seat in the row directly in front of us, who Jay recognised and turned out to be another Moz Army comrade also called Angie.  The best of names!  Angie very kindly gifted me a large Mozzer badge which was really appreciated.  We nattered away while some music played in the background, including Candyman by Siouxsie and the Banshees.  Then the videos kicked in, which included if I recall correctly in no particular order:

 

Pickettywitch (Baby I Won’t Let You Down)

Eddie Cochran (Something Else)

Andy Williams (Danny Boy)

Ramones (Loudmouth)

Sex Pistols (God Save The Queen)

War (Why Can’t We Be Friends?) – the video was insane!

T-Rex (Children of the Revolution)

Vince Taylor (Twenty Flight Rock)

Chloe Poems (my favourite line from a TV show I saw Chloe on many years ago was “I asked for an Avenue (which was pronounced as Ah-van-nue) of Beeches.  Not Bitches!”)

 

Excellent taste as always, Mozzer!


         Obligatory photo by The Spacelord of me avec La Dimples waiting for His Very Mozzerness


I was getting very excited by this point, and the atmosphere was building up exquisitely as it always does at these momentous occasions.  Then, the familiar sight of Lypsinka Has a Glamour Fit popped up on the screen, and we knew that the man himself was only moments away from appearing on stage.  James Baldwin came into view immediately after Lypsinka, complete with some clever US of A flag graphics superimposed on his oh so wise and noble face.  A massive roar came from the crowd as Our Lord and Saviour MORRISSEY made his grand entrance, complete with the rest of the band.  It was an absolute delight to see Alain Whyte and Moz back together again too, as it’s been a long time since I witnessed such a spectacle.

 

Morrissey sang the briefest snippet from Jerusalem with the miraculous voice that was surely gifted to him from the Angels and Saints themselves, before launching into a blistering How Soon Is Now?  THE BEST way to kick off a show!

 

Okay, a little experiment here now.  This is a first for me in all of the reviews I’ve ever written of the Moz gigs I’ve attended, as I’m going to give a brief rundown of my thoughts on ALL of the tracks that featured in the setlist.  I know!  Here goes:

 

How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)

I’ve seen both Morrissey and Marr perform this song in recent years (separately, but of course!), and I must confess that I firmly believe His Very Mozzerness has it absolutely nailed!  The band is so damned tight too!  Why James Brown himself, that well known stickler of timekeeping and musical excellency, would have been hugely impressed!  Not a single duff note to be heard in this track nor indeed any other all night long!

 

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

This takes me back to when it was released.  At the time I thought it was fairly lightweight (more fool me!), but I’ve come to appreciate in the years since that as is always the case, Morrissey was bang on with his assessment of how negatively he was perceived by his peers and the music press.  He was the recipient of much vitriol and envy, which continues to this very day.  Well, he sure did show them!  Is tha listening, Dave “Hasbeen” Haslam?

 

Our Frank

I’ve not heard this one live for many years so it was marvellous to have it on the setlist, and it transported me back to 1991 when I was still just A Girl In Da Hudd(ersfield) and eagerly anticipating my future plans.  How I do love to fondly reminisce!

 

Knockabout World

From Morrissey’s last album I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, I love this one!  It sure was something else to hear it live for the first time.

 

First of the Gang to Die

A stone cold classic, which had everyone in the venue singing away along with Mozzer.  Hector young fella m’lad, you’ve got a LOT to answer for!

 

Irish Blood, English Heart

This has been an encore of late, so to hear it this early on was thrilling as I wondered what on earth would top this to end the show!  A barnstorming powerhouse of a number!

 

Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings

From the forthcoming new album Bonfire of Teenagers.  I like, oh yes!

 

Rebels Without Applause

Another from Bonfire of Teenagers.  Sounds mighty fine to me, and such a clever title!

 

The Loop

It was bloody AMAZING to see and hear this one, and in particular as I was at Hammersmith Odeon exactly 31 years to the day prior when it was also performed.  Having Alain Whyte back in the gang is IMMENSE.  Reunited, and it feels so GOOD!

 

Frankly Mr Shankly (The Smiths)

Oh My DAYS!  WHAT a TREAT to hear this one in the flesh!  I’ve always loved the spiky, spiteful lyrics paired with the jaunty, jangly music!  A match surely made in heaven!

 

I Am Veronica

Another outing for a track from Bonfire of Teenagers.  If this and the others are anything to go by, the next long player is gonna be a right CORKER!

 

My Hurling Days Are Done

I could have imagined it, but I think I may have seen Morrissey wipe away a tear when he was singing what has become a beautiful, poignant and moving eulogy to his beloved mother Elizabeth who sadly passed away two years ago, as this was his first Manchester show without her.  It set me off actually and I definitely had something in my eye.  Jay had to put his arm around my shoulder to comfort me.  So sorry for your loss, she surely was a Wonderful Woman.

 

Half A Person (The Smiths)

I swear down, I did actually hear Half A Person for the first time when I was 16, clumsy and shy back in Nineteen Eighty Hate when Morrissey rescued me and I bought all of The Smiths’ albums in hasty and urgent succession.  Always a pleasure, never a chore!

 

Bonfire of Teenagers

Obviously a contentious one here, the title track from the new album.  May I now confess that I absolutely LOATHE and DESPISE Don’t Look Back In Anger.  I’ve always hated that ruddy song, talk about plod!  I completely get where Morrissey is coming from with this, as the attack of 2017 devastated my adopted home city of Manchester and my blood still boils thinking about what went down with that heinous, nefarious, evil ass shit.  I do feel so very much for the families of the victims and the survivors, who must continue to live with their acute loss, pain and trauma until the day they die.


Homemade album cover for Bonfire of Teenagers featuring a Young Morrissey


Auld Lang Syne/Everyday Is Like Sunday

An instrumental version of Auld Lang Syne (nice!), which fed into my favourite Morrissey track of all time.  This is the song that truly changed my life forevermore, I genuinely get the F.E.A.R. (For Everything A Reason, truer words have never been spoken by Morrissey’s fellow MCR luminary Mr Ian Brown!) thinking about just where I’d be if it hadn’t come thundering into my life and demanded that I damned well LISTEN!

 

Never Had No One Ever (The Smiths)

In my humble opinion, the best track on The Queen Is Dead album!  The demo version released back in 2017 reinforced my view that this number is The Blues right here!  I could so easily imagine the likes of Billie Holiday crooning her way through this one!  Such an honour and a sheer delight to hear it live!  SWOON!

 

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (The Smiths)

Quite possibly the most gorgeous rendition to date of this wondrous song!  It was breath-taking when the audience sang it back to Mozzer, fair made my heart swell it did.  Got me in the feels, man!

 

Jack The Ripper

I never, ever get tired of this being played, it’s life-affirming despite the subject matter!  I much prefer the live rendition to the studio recorded version if the truth be known!

 

ENCORE:

 

Sweet And Tender Hooligan (The Smiths)

GOD DAYUM!  WHAT a track to end the night with!  It just about lifted the roof off the Apollo, so intense was the ferocity!  This was where the expected shirt toss DIDN’T happen!  Unheard of!  Yes, Morrissey ripped his rather charming Ena Sharples tee, but then seemed to change his mind and ran away which was so cute and adorable.  Love that man!

 

I suspect that Morrissey saw how on it the security was (I definitely saw at least one person who had tried to get onto the stage being dragged away!) and didn’t want to risk anyone injuring themselves during the melee of the shirt scrum, so he possibly decided to not go ahead in the interests of patron safety.

 

So there you have it, my rundown of all the tracks on the setlist.  Just to mention as well that Morrissey did indeed acknowledge the 40th anniversary of The Smiths’ first ever gig in Manchester.  “This hour, this day, is 40 years since four not very sweet, not very tender hooligans played for the first time in this city”.  To have been present and have the privilege of spending the evening with this renowned Son of the Stage, this highly esteemed Son of Manchester on this most special of nights was beyond anything I could have ever dreamed of when I first had my head turned back in Nineteen Eighty Hate.  This was Morrissey show number 13 for me too, definitely lucky for some!

 

Morrissey did also say that, although we’d think he was lying, the new album Bonfire of Teenagers is due to drop (still down with the kids!) VERY soon!  Ooh!

 

When Morrissey was introducing the band during the show, my undoubted and undisputed favourite was “From Tesco, East Finchley – Alain Whyte”!  So funny!

 

“I luff you, I luff you, I luff you, I luff you, I LUFF YOU!”.  Right back at ya, dude!

 

Morrissey’s voice is as dynamic, commanding and compelling as it’s ever been, it’s aged like a fine wine!  The boys are so astonishingly accomplished in their melodious wizardry as mentioned earlier it’s unbelievable! 


David, David and Steven with The Band


          David, David and Steven with The Band Close Up.  Soz for lopping you off the end of this one, Gustavo!  'Twas the phone that did it!

Well hello there, Mr Johansen!


Annie Walker of Corrie Fame (Doris Speed) in the house!

Kevin Keegan Sans Perm and Mr Shankly


Da Noo Yoik Dawlls


So, after Morrissey had got off the stage and the lights went up, Jay and I made our weary way downstairs back to the foyer.  We saw a few more of the Moz Fam at this point: as well as Denise again (love that girl, Yorkshire Posse ahoy!) we also saw Vanessa The Girl Racer from the US, and Big Jimmy Thompson who is the frontman for the excellent The(se) Smiths tribute band.  There were so many of our other much loved compadres we sadly didn’t get to catch up with which was a real shame as we weren't able to attend any of the aftershow parties, but we had a hell of a time and thoroughly enjoyed the night.  Looking forward to the next one already!  Huddersfield Town Hall, here we come!

 

ANGIE J COOKE nėe LEWIS

Manchester, ENGLAND


Morrissey Fly Poster for O2 Apollo Manchester, SOLD OUT!


MORRISSEY – O2 APOLLO, MANCHESTER

TUESDAY, 04 OCTOBER 2022

 

The full setlist for the concert is as follows:

 

ENTRANCE: Jerusalem (Morrissey Acapella)

 

01) How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)

02) We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

03) Our Frank

04) Knockabout World

05) First of the Gang to Die

06) Irish Blood, English Heart

07) Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings

08) Rebels Without Applause

09) The Loop

10) Frankly Mr Shankly (The Smiths)

11) I Am Veronica

12) My Hurling Days Are Done

13) Half A Person (The Smiths)

14) Bonfire of Teenagers

15) Auld Lang Syne/Everyday Is Like Sunday

16) Never Had No One Ever (The Smiths)

17) Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (The Smiths)

18) Jack The Ripper

 

ENCORE:

 

19) Sweet And Tender Hooligan (The Smiths)


Courtesy of Thom Haydon via Twitter.  You lucky little lad!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrissey at Manchester Arena in 2016

MORRISSEY – MANCHESTER ARENA SATURDAY, 20 AUGUST 2016 Vocals: MORRISSEY Guitars: BOZ BOORER Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS Bass: MANDO LOPEZ Drums: MATT WALKER Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR Support: DAMIEN DEMPSEY Poster for Manchester Arena Gig For a myriad of reasons which I’ll save for sharing with you all on another day, I hadn’t even CONTEMPLATED , yet alone been interested in, going to a Mozzer gig for a HUGE amount of time! My last one being Drury Lane Theatre in London way back in February 1995 ( over 21 YEARS ago!! ).  When Moz declared in 2015 that he wasn’t going to come back to the UK to play, I have to admit that I was, as well as being a mite bemused, pretty damned devastated, and a part of me actually died if the truth be known.  I was worried that I’d left it too late and that I’d never lay eyes on my beloved Misery Mozzery again!  DISASTER !  He’s such a massive Diva!  Having said that, I DO like a man who can have a tantrum-level strop, though!  Very

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2020

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS FRIDAY, 06 MARCH 2020 Vocals:  MORRISSEY Guitars:  BOZ BOORER Guitars:  JESSE TOBIAS Bass:  MANDO LOPEZ Drums:  MATT WALKER Keyboards:  GUSTAVO MANZUR Support:  None Moz Tour Poster 2020: All four European Dates.  Sadly, Paris was called off due to the Corona virus (aka  Miley Cyrus) Before I begin, if I may, I’d like to go back in the mists of time now to two years ago.  After the European tour was pulled in the summer of 2018, I really thought that Moz would never play in Blighty again. I had tickets for both of the Manchester Castlefield Bowl dates, as did some of my friends who had travelled all the way from the US and Canada, and we were all devastated to say the very least. Please do forgive my rant now, but a certain so-called “Superstar” DJ who held his pathetic little anti-Morrissey event on the same night as the ill-fated first Castlefield date, who was almost immediately prior to that selling a book whic

Morrissey at First Direct Arena, Leeds in 2018

MORRISSEY – FIRST DIRECT ARENA, LEEDS SATURDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2018 Vocals: MORRISSEY Guitars: BOZ BOORER Guitars: JESSE TOBIAS Bass: MANDO LOPEZ Drums: MATT WALKER Keyboards: GUSTAVO MANZUR Support: None Flyer for Morrissey UK Tour Dates 2018, not including the added shows at Brixton Academy and the London Palladium There was a buzz of excitement when the announcement was made that Morrissey would be touring dear old Blighty again in early 2018, and in particular because the tickets went on sale a mere 2 weeks before his new album  “Low In High School”  was due to be released.  LIHS would prove to be a triumphant return to form for His Very Mozzerness, and so far has spawned the excellent singles  “Spent The Day In Bed”  and  “Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage” , with  “All The Young People Must Fall In Love”  due to follow in early March 2018 at the time of this here piece being penned.   UPDATE:   "My Love, I'd Do Anything For You&quo